Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wherein I am amazed at how easy that was.

Or, "Liquidating Assets."

All I had to do was tell people I was moving, and they came over to buy my stuff. That was easy!

Today, I was able to rid my house of two bags of old clothes,  my couch, ottoman, and a bookcase. I also have a buyer for my armchairs. Although since she's a close friend, she offered to let us keep using them until just before we move (after all -- we don't have a couch anymore). So thank you very much Melanie and Elizabeth for making that so easy.

It was a little strange to see the bookcase go. My dad bought that bookcase for Julian, and it was in Julian's nursery when he was born. Since then, though, it has moved from room to room and from house to house with us, holding all kinds of things. Until about 8PM today, it held my cookbooks, Julian's toys, some pictures of family, handmade pottery my sister made, and all Isaac's sheet music. And you know what? I didn't know it was such a meaningful object for me until it left the house. Right now it's contents are in haphazard piles around the living room waiting to be sorted and eventually stored, sold, or given away, and I can really see how much work there is to do around here.

In my apartment as in my heart, I am counting the cost of leaving California and each day it becomes more real for me.

I think I'm going to learn a lot about letting go this month, as I say goodbye to some worldly possessions. I said in a previous post that I'm not a material girl. We'll see if that's true. So far today I have said goodbye to possessions which to me represented security, order, and comfort. It was difficult, but it was necessary. And tonight I sit around and get over it.

As for Julian, I don't think he understands what's going on at all. He was at my mother's house all evening and when he finally came home, I don't think he even noticed the couch or the bookcase were gone. He walked in the door, saw the towering piles of stuff on the floor and with wide and adventurous eyes asked, "What are you building?!" Good question, Julian.

Maybe I'm feeling a little dramatic, but as I typed those words I started to cry. What ARE we building? All evening I thought I was protecting him from the stress of having his home turned upside down, but he thought it was pretty darn cool. An adventure, even!

Okay, an adventure is near. Meanwhile, I need to get rid of some dressers. They look like this:



I have 2 of these.
Malm Chest of Drawers in Black-brown.
Good condition.
Ikea has them for $99/each.
I am asking $125/pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment