Thursday, June 24, 2010

Honda Civics and Glorious Riches.

Or, "You're not losing a Honda Civic, you're gaining a niece."

Julian and I were in a pretty bad car crash yesterday (don't worry, no one was hurt), and we don't carry collision on our autos. This means that, while my insurance company will cover any damage or injury for the other person (yes, we hit someone), when it comes to my car I'm out of luck. They hauled my car (totaled) to a tow yard (insurance does cover the towing), and now I don't have it any more. But I do have 300 bucks. And three of my tires. Because José at the tow yard wanted to take my car apart and sell the parts. So I sold it to him.

We were planning on selling the car anyway, but I was hoping to get a little more than $300.00 for it. Ha.

Anyway, I pulled all my stuff out of the car, took José's information and my $300.00, and went to eat some dinner and figure out what to do next. On the way there I got a text. My sister-in-law was in labor with my niece!!! It was completely unexpected! She's not due for another week and a half and I hadn't heard any signs that she was close!

One thing I find extremely interesting about this whole thing is that my last entry, which was written just hours before the crash, was all about "getting over" my own materialism, and severing emotional ties with objects in my life. Then in possibly the most traumatic way possible, my car (the first car I ever bought, the car I brought Julian home from the hospital in), was forcibly ripped from my life, and I was left literally sitting on the side of the road with just my precious little son, thanking God we are alive and have full use of our extremities. The day was spent dealing with insurance and tow yards and greasy details and a sore back and neck.

But I didn't go to bed mourning the loss of my car or wondering what would happen next. I went to bed praying for my sister-in-law, my brother-in-law, and their beautiful baby girl. Fantasizing about waking up to the news that she had been born healthy and perfect. Thinking about her little face peeking out of a cozy flannel blanket. This morning at 5:18, my sister-in-law sent me a picture message of the baby's darling face, and indeed she is absolutely perfect.

This blog entry is dedicated to my precious niece, born June 24th, 2010, and to her parents, my beloved brother and sister.

"And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. Now all glory to God our Father forever and ever! Amen." ~ Philippians 4:19-20

1 comment:

  1. She is so beautiful! This totally made me cry. Congratulations to them!!

    Also, I am very thankful that you and J are ok.

    ReplyDelete